Sunday, March 17, 2013

Rules on Dating 2 - Thoughts on Long Term.

Couple things we need to get out of the way first before we get into the meat of this.  #1, a friend of my dad's lost his daughter this morning, so lets keep the Stirneman family in our prayers.  #2, while I try to keep my blog light hearted, the inspiration for this entry was me getting pissed off, so this is gonna be more serious, and a lot of people are gonna get really pissed off about this.  Many readers won't want to be my friend anymore after reading this, this is your disclaimer
Now, most people who know me know I don't do long term, so I'm sure that there was a lot of shock when the title of this entry was read for the first time, whether on facebook or when they stumble across this from getting the link directly from me.  In my own defense, I'm not against long term, but I'm picky, and somewhat wary after the things that have happened to me.  So if I start to realize early that it's not gonna work, I'm not gonna sit and wait it out and see if I'm wrong, or change myself to force it to work.  I've been in that relationship before, and i hated every day of it, and I hated myself for it.  With that having been said, I also go on a lot of dates with a lot of different girls.  If it is gonna be a year, 2 year, 5 year, or lifelong relationship, it's gotta be the right girl.
So now lets get into the meat of this.  I was informed last night, by someone who can't function as a single, that the reason that I'm always out with a different girl every weekend, and the fact that, yes, I have sex, and it's not always with someone who means something to me, that I have some huge void in my life that I'm trying to fill.  I tried to lead the conversation away to avoid a huge fight, and she kept forcing it back that way, and I lost it.  After I spent some time reminding her how she begged me to come be her new surrogate father for her child, she went well over the line and wished that I would "find someone who fills my void and completes me".  Now, first off, we've all had health class, and we all know the mechanics of where babies come from, so any of us know that I'm the one filling the void, not the other way around.  Back to seriousness, the phrase "you complete me" is beyond just wrong.  It's just sick and disgusting and it's a demeaning invention from the hallmark company to push single people to get into relationships when they're not ready, so they can sell more chocolate and valentines cards.  I complete me.  my life is full and complete and meaningful by myself without someone in it.  People who look for the person who "completes" them are the people who are likely to get divorced.  Having been in a long long term relationship where my fiance needed me to be satisfied in herself, I know where these relationships fail.  The secret to a real successful relationship is to be complete before going into it.  If you think about it, how can you really give yourself completely to someone if you're not satisfied in yourself.  Wouldn't you feel a little bit like you're cheating someone if you give them something (someone) that you're not satisfied with??  A similar topic is how people "need" to be with someone.  You're just begging to get hurt at that point.  I don't want to be with someone because I somehow require it to validate myself, but because I want to just spend time with her.  Need puts so much pressure on another person, and I see the most important aspect to a good successful relationship is to have no pressure.  Pressure drives guilt and guilt drives resentment.
Bottom line, love yourself, then love another. Complete yourself, and find happiness that way.  And don't go long term until you find someone who is worth going long term with. And don't settle for anything less than what you want or deserve
J. Edgar Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment